Living in a pesticide and chemical free world is one of my “work in progress” goals.  We use only organic fertilizer on the lawn and we keep “Connie Composter’s” belly filled with carrot peels and apple cores to nourish the garden soil. But sometimes danger lurks in places I least expect.

I was enthusiastically moving furniture and transferring clothing from the guest room closet in preparation for the painter’s arrival the following day. I lifted a large box from the floor of the closet and carried it upstairs to store until after the painting was complete.  As I set the box down I heard an unusually sound coming from the guest room below.

Quickly I ran downstairs just in time to see MooMooXiaXia licking a wrapper on the floor.

O, No!  Rodent Poison!

I immediately called my Vet Clinic asking if I could bring MooMooXiaXia in right away.  The receptionist asked me to hold for a Technician.  With the clock ticking, the Technician came on the line to inform me that I needed to call Poison Control.  I asked for the phone number and again was placed on hold. Apparently the number had to be researched. Finally the Technician came back on the line and gave me a toll free number.

Poison Control # 1 800 213 6680

What do I do after I talk to Poison Control?  Do I bring MooMooXiaXia into to see the Vet?  The technician calmly informs me, “No, Poison Control will tell you what to do.”

There’s a $49 fee for Poison Control to research a poison procedure.  I agreed to pay the fee and was then asked a series of questions:

  1. Name of poison
  2. Weight of dog
  3. Could I read the EPA #? Unfortunately, MooMooXiaXia had eaten that part of the wrapper, but I could provide the chemical percentages.
  4. I was then asked to hold while calculations were made

The good news — there was an anecdote for this composition; that’s not true for all poisons, particularly some of the newer ones.

Did I feel comfortable inducing vomiting? Yes, I was comfortable with trying.  I was then given instructions to induce vomiting using a specific amount of Hydrogen Peroxide followed by running MooMooXiaXia around for ten minutes until she vomits. If, that didn’t work, I was to repeat the Hydrogen Peroxide with a different dosage and again run her around until she vomited.

It took the two separate doses of Hydrogen Peroxide before MooMooXiaXia successfully vomited.  I could see the red pellets in her vomit thus confirming she had indeed ingested the poison. Because I had caught MooMooXiaXia in the act of eating the poison I felt fairly confident that she threw up what she’d eaten. Then again, I can’t know for certain how much poison she had ingested.

Poison Control gave me the name of the anecdote and said “any Veterinarian Clinic will carry it.”  Poison Control gave us a case number and said we could call back with questions anytime.

I followed up with a call to my Vet Clinic to ask if they had the anecdote. If my Vet Clinic didn’t stock the anecdote then my plan was to locate an Emergency Vet Hospital that did.

The good news is MooMooXiaXia started on the anecdote immediately and will remain on it for 25 days.  Liquid Charcoal was also prescribed to prevent any absorption of the poison in her intestines and she also had blood tests to measure her blood clotting time.  The blood test will be repeated after she has completed the prescribed anecdote.

Lessons Learned:

  • Clean all cabinets and closets to ensure poison free.
  • Add Poison Control phone number to Contacts for quick access.
  • Add “inducing vomit” to my list of skills.

I’m deeply grateful that MooMooXiaXia is alive and hopefully the next round of blood tests will confirm in good health.